Deli Corn Rye
1/2 c Cold water
1-1/2 c Unbleached flour
6 tb Yellow cornmeal
1 c Cold mashed potatoes
1 c Boiling water
1 tb Caraway seeds
1 tb Crisco
Cornmeal, quantity sufficient
2 ts Salt
1/4 c Water
1 tb Dry yeast+ 1 t. (or 1 cake)
1/2 ts Cornstarch
2-1/2 c Rye flour
1 ts Caraway seeds
1. Lightly grease large bowl; set aside.
2. Combine cold water and cornmeal in 2 quart saucepan over medium high heat.
Add boiling water and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in Crisco
and salt. Let mixture cool to lukewarm.
3. Combine yeast, rye, flour, potatoes and 1 T Caraway seeds in
mixing bowl and blend. Add cornmeal mixture and blend thoroughly. Turn out
onto lightly floured surface and knead until stiff but still slightly
sticky. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat entire surface. Cover with
plastic wrap and hot damp towel and let rise in warm place until doubled in
4. Grease baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Punch dough down,
shape into loaf or rounds and place on baking sheet. Cover with
plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled in volume.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake bread 40 minutes. Combine water and cornstarch in
small saucepan and bring to boil; boil 1 minute.
6. Remove bread from oven, brush lightly with glaze and sprinkle with remaining
caraway seeds. Return bread to oven for about 5 minutes, or until top is glazed
and loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on rack.
Print This Recipe
For All Of Your Netscape Support, Netscape Updates and Netscape News, Visit:
The Netscape UFAQ