Indian Chicken Curry (Gaeng Massaman Gai)
1 large potato, peeled and chopped into bite-sized cubes
2 tbs. prepared tamarind
2 tbs. vegetable oil
2 tsp. garlic, chopped
2 lbs. (6-8 pieces) chicken drumsticks
3 1/2 tbs. massaman curry paste
1 tsp. sugar
2 tbs. of fish sauce
1/2 tbs. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. dried lemongrass
1/4 tsp. dried galingale powder
5 cinnamon sticks
2 1/2 cups coconut milk
1/2 white onion, cut into rings
1 tbs. lime juice
1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, whole
1 tsp. whole cloves
1. Peel potato, cut into bite-sized cubes, and boil until cooked. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, work dried tamarind between fingers in a little warm water.
Add more water or tamarind until paste is the consistency of apple butter, then
remove seeds and other hard pieces.
1. On maximum setting, heat oil in wok. Fry garlic and chicken until browned.
2. Add massaman curry paste and stir-fry for 1 minute.
3. Mix in sugar, fish sauce, ground cloves, dried lemongrass, galingale,
4. Pour in coconut milk, and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 5
5. Add potato, onion, lime juice, tamarind paste, and peanuts. Mix thoroughly.
6. Simmer on low heat until peanuts are soft. Skim fat off top if fatty chicken
7. Garnish with whole cloves on top and serve over rice.
Print This Recipe
For All Of Your Netscape Support, Netscape Updates and Netscape News, Visit:
The Netscape UFAQ
Netscape Browser Support