Papaya Salad with Grilled Chicken
(Som Tam Gai Yang)
Ingredients: Chicken Marinade:
3 cups green (unripe) papaya, grated 4-6 chicken drumsticks
1/4 lb Chinese green beans 1 tbs. oyster sauce
1/2 tbs. prepared tamarind 1 tbs. sugar
8 cloves garlic, whole 2 tbs. garlic, crushed
5 shallots, whole 1 tbs. white pepper
10 Thai peppers (adjust to taste) 1 tbs. fish sauce
1/2 cup dried shrimp 1 tsp. salt
2 tbs. roasted unsalted peanuts 2 tbs. cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup cherry tomatoes or tomato wedges
2 tbs. coconut sugar
4 tbs. fish sauce
4 tbs. lime juice
1 tsp. white pepper
1. Mix marinade ingredients, and soak chicken legs for 30 minutes.
2. Peel and grate papaya.
3. Cut green beans into 3" pieces.
4. In a small bowl, work tamarind between fingers with a little warm water. Add
water to tamarind until paste is the consistency of apple butter. Remove seeds and
other hard pieces.
1. Bake (BBQ if you prefer) chicken legs at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until
2. Put chicken aside.
3. Place garlic, shallots, Thai peppers, dried shrimp, peanuts, and green beans
into a food processor (or ideally into a large mortar) and pulse-mix until the
ingredients are finely chopped. Do not overmix, as salad ingredients should have
some definition after combining.
4. Add cherry tomatoes and pulse mix again.
5. Remove from food processor, and mix in grated papaya, coconut sugar, fish
sauce, dissolved tamarind paste, lime juice, and pepper.
6. Serve salad on a platter with baked or BBQ drumsticks, and accompany with
Print This Recipe
For All Of Your Netscape Support, Netscape Updates and Netscape News, Visit:
The Netscape UFAQ
Netscape Browser Support