Tangy Chicken Soup (Tom Yam Gai)
This recipe can also be used to create a wonderful prawn soup, by simply
using 1/2 lb. of medium-sized prawns instead of the chicken meat.
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 lb chicken meat cut into bite-sized pieces
5 stalks lemongrass, bruised and tied into knots
20 kaffir limes leaves (or substitute 1 tbs. grated lime peel)
2 tbs. garlic, chopped
1/4 cup chopped galingale (approximately 2" of root)
1/3 cup fish sauce
2 tsp. sugar
5-10 Thai peppers (according to taste), gently crushed
1/2 cup lime juice
10 whole oyster mushrooms (or substitute 1 cup white mushrooms, halved)
2-3 tbs. roasted chili paste (Nam Prik Phau)
1 tomato, cut into 6-8 wedges
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup white onion, sliced in rings
1 stalk green onion, chopped
1. Prepare chicken stock.
2. Bring chicken stock to a boil and add chicken meat.
3. When chicken is no longer pink, add lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves (or lime
peel), garlic and galingale.
4. Stir in fish sauce, sugar and Thai peppers.
5. Return soup to a boil. Add lime juice and mushrooms.
6. Taste soup and add additional lime juice, sugar or fish sauce to your liking.
7. Add chili paste, tomato, cilantro, white onion, and green onion.
8. Stir 1-2 minutes, and remove from heat.
Soup for 4
Print This Recipe
For All Of Your Netscape Support, Netscape Updates and Netscape News, Visit:
The Netscape UFAQ
Netscape Browser Support